GFSI is actively seeking food safety experts to help advance the work of its GFSI Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) Local Group.
GFSI relies heavily on its regional networks via the GFSI Local Groups to fully implement its vision of safe food for consumers everywhere. GFSI’s Local Groups provide a valuable forum where regional food safety experts from a range of sectors within the food industry can collaboratively work on regional and local food safety issues, share knowledge and promote a harmonised approach to managing and improving food safety management systems around the world.
In the EMEA region, GFSI is expanding the scope of its Europe Local Group to provide an arena to address and act on food safety concerns arising in areas across the Middle East and Africa. The initial work plan will focus on Western and Eastern Europe with the intent to develop a long-term plan to deliver these objectives across the Middle East and Africa when the Local Group membership has grown sufficiently to accommodate this wider remit. This EMEA Local Group will therefore seek to:
1) Drive awareness of GFSI-recognised certification particularly in countries where third party certification is less well advanced with an initial particular focus on Eastern Europe.
2) Develop a forum for engagement between business and Food Safety Authorities represented by the Europe, Middle East and Africa Local Group with an initial particular focus on Eastern and Western Europe.
3) Identify areas of need and facilitate capability building across the countries represented by the Europe, Middle East and Africa Local Group with an initial particular focus on Eastern Europe.
Please see here for more information regarding the Terms of Reference for this group.
How to apply
There is no limit to the number of members within this EMEA Local Group. However, this group should not be comprised of more than 25% of non retail and manufacturer member companies.
NB: The Co-Chairs of the EMEA Local Group must be CGF members and their companies must be signatories to the GFSI Coalition of Action.
All applicants are welcomed and will be classified using the following criteria:
Retail/Wholesale/Manufacturing/ Food Service/ Primary Production
- Have a food safety leadership role within an EMEA retail, manufacturing, wholesale or food service business.
- Have experience in the field of food safety management systems, regulatory affairs and/food safety capability-building.
- Have relevant EMEA regulatory and business contacts and networks within the field of food safety.
- Commitment to GFSI aims and objectives.
- Interest in CGF Membership (If your company is a non-CGF member, the desire to engage with CGF to explore member opportunities, including non-food topics, is highly valued)
Non-Food Business Applicants
- Have a food safety related role within an industry or sector which delivers services to the food industry.
- Have experience as a food safety auditor.
- Have a role within an EMEA Certification Body based or operating in the EMEA.
- Have a role within an EMEA Certification Programme Owner based or operating in the EMEA.
- Those teaching or researching in the area of food safety from an EMEA based academic institution.
If you are interested in joining this Local Group, and believe you satisfy the selection criteria, please fill in this online application before 10th August 2021 at 11.45pm CEST.
Candidates will be selected to ensure a balanced regional representation from the following stakeholder groups:
- Food service/Catering.
- Primary Production.
- Certification Programme Owners.
- Certification bodies.
- Service providers to the food industry.
- Other relevant supply chain participants.
Depending on the strategic regional priorities of the Local Groups, other partners such as the following stakeholders can have an observer status at the Local Group:
- Other food related trade associations
Local Groups are required to meet in person, (COVID-19 permitting) on a minimum of two occasions annually. Regular videoconference calls may be organised depending on the needs of the Local Group. Active participation at the Local Group meetings and calls is required. All meetings and communication for this Group will be held in English.
All costs and expenses for participants’ participation in any or all activities of the GFSI Local Group must be covered by the organisations that they represent.
Appointed Local Group Members must commit to adhering to the GFSI Governance Model and Rules of Procedure in particular, Article VIII: GFSI Local Groups (LG) together with the GFSI Code of Ethical Conduct as defined in Article XI. They will also be required to sign, endorse and abide by the GFSI Local Group Members Statement of Commitment.
There is no maximum duration for membership to a GFSI Local Group.
This Call for Participation will be open from 20 th July until 10 th August 2021.
Only selected candidates will be contacted in relation to the next steps of the process.
The work of the Local Group is expected to restart from September onwards.