Winners from Africa, Asia, France and LATAM take centre stage in their journey towards a world-class food safety system
- Golden Sugar Limited, Ashfaq Brothers Eggs Traders, Patisserie Ballion and Alfa Argentina all received high recognition for their work in food safety.
- The Global Markets Awards intend to highlight the food safety journey of companies from all over the world who have used the Global Markets Programme to create an enabling environment for food safety management systems.
NICE, France, 27th February 2019 – The Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) Board of Directors, the Global Markets Awards Selection Committee and award sponsors, Greenfence, are announcing the winners of GFSI’s Global Markets Awards 2019.
With the volume and quality of applications higher than ever, the four winners were praised for their application of GFSI’s Global Markets Programme, acknowledged for their tremendous efforts in providing safe food, reducing supply chain hazards and working towards greater market access through GFSI tools. The 2019 winners include:
- Patisserie Ballion (France): the French patisserie completely reviewed their quality management system to be able to apply for certification through the integration of hygiene training and modernisation of its packaging line.
- Alfa Argentina (LATAM): the ingredients specialists made their food safety management system completely transparent. This used to be an internal activity but became a more interactive process involving suppliers, clients and even competitors.
- Golden Sugar Company (Africa): The sugar company boosted its client base beyond direct consumers to multinational industrial clients and reduced food safety related complaints.
Ashfaq Brothers Eggs (Asia): To achieve the certification, work included advancing food and quality-related policies.
The Awards were announced during this year’s GFSI Conference in Nice, which brings industry leaders together to discuss the key food safety trends in the FMCG sector. The Awards intend to reflect the diversity of the Global Markets Programme around the world today from Africa, Asia, the Americas and Europe.
The GFSI Global Markets Programme is a pathway to certification, providing an unaccredited entry point for companies with a step-by-step programme designed to build capacity within production and manufacturing operations. It is designed to support companies with less sophisticated food safety management systems, setting out how they can meet the challenge of food safety, while simultaneously reducing hazards in global food supply chains.
Mike Robach, Chairman of the GFSI Board said: “The Global Markets Awards 2019 recognises the commitment of companies all over the world to their food safety journey. This year, the Selection Committee focused on the effort and innovations the companies have made in creating an environment for food safety and a culture of continuous improvement.
These exemplary companies, all from different regions across the world, showed how small companies can provide safe food, reduce risk in the supply chain and become trusted trading partners. All recipients were chosen from the strongest pool of applicants yet who had benefited in their food safety journey by using the Global Markets Programme. We thank all of the companies that participated”.
— Ends —
The Global food safety Initiative (GFSI) brings together key actors of the food industry to collaboratively drive continuous improvement in food safety management systems around the world. With a vision of Safe food for consumers everywhere, food industry leaders created GFSI in 2000 to find collaborative solutions to collective concerns, notably to reduce food safety risks, audit duplication and costs while building trust throughout the supply chain. The GFSI community works on a volunteer basis and is composed of the world’s leading food safety experts from retail, manufacturing and food service companies, as well as international organizations, governments, academia and service providers to the global food industry. GFSI is powered by The Consumer Goods Forum (CGF), a global industry network working to support Better Lives Through Better Business. For more information, please visit www.mygfsi.com.